Many people wish to brighten and whiten their teeth but dentist-office treatments can be very expensive. So, they turn to the next best option, at-home teeth whitening kits. These kits can vary in method from toothpastes to strips to gels or trays. The application process also varies in duration and recommended frequency and repetition.
Pros for at-home teeth whitening:
• Cheaper cost than in-office treatments
• Convenience of whitening teeth on your own schedule
• Easy to use trays, strips and gels
• Solutions are safe
• Moldable trays for custom comfort
Cons of at-home teeth whitening:
• Increased sensitivity in teeth and gums
• Susceptibility to stains from colored food and beverages if consumed after whitening session
• Areas of concern (cavities) may not be identified and discomfort may result
• Results may not be as prevalent as desired
• Some stains require professional level whitening to remove
Deciding to use an at-home teeth whitening kit as opposed to an in-office treatment should be based on individual needs and application preference. It is recommended to consult your dentist if you have any concerns about the health or condition of your teeth before or after the use of an at-home teeth whitening kit. Similarly, if your gums and teeth begin to feel irritated of significantly more sensitive after use, it may be best to try another kind or seek professional advice on the right teeth whitening program for you.