Next time you’re at the grocery store, stock up on these five foods that are great for your health and great for your teeth – who knew a beautiful smile could taste so good?
- Milk. It’s got calcium, which is what your teeth are made of. A low-fat option will keep the calorie count down, and a version that’s enriched with Vitamin D will help your body absorb calcium.
- Apples. Crunchy produce requires more chewing, which helps promote saliva flow. In turn, that protects against tooth decay by washing away food particles that can cause cavities. So you’re cleaning your teeth while snacking – not bad!
- Yogurt. Yogurt can help reduce odor-causing hydrogen sulfide, so no more bad breath after that slice of pizza. Some studies have shown that eating a daily serving of yogurt with active cultures can reduce plaque and gum disease as well, by lowering the amount of bacteria in your mouth. Oh, and it’s full of calcium, too.
- Chicken. A healthy serving of chicken packs crucial vitamins B3 and B12, which prevent mouth sores and canker sores, as well as bad breath.
- Tea. A positive choice over coffee, soda or fruit juice. Go green (tea, that is) for an extra boost - studies have also shown that green tea’s natural antioxidants can reduce gum inflammation.