Homemade Mother’s Day Gifts That Beat Flowers
This Mother’s Day, give mom something more memorable and unique than the flowers or chocolates you usually get her.
Try one of these DIY gifts she’s sure to treasure:
Personalized tote bag:
From groceries to beach trips, mom always needs a good bag to carry things in-especially one designed just for her!
Start with a plain canvas bag, fabric paints, sponge brushes, and old newspapers. First, lay the old newspapers over your workspace to make for easy cleanup. Then, use the sponge brush to paint the palm of your hand, and then press handprints onto the tote.
Go with any design you’d like, but one idea is to press handprints in a circle, like flower petals with a stem and leaves on the bottom. Let the paint dry, then fill the bag with some snacks and goodies she loves.
Homemade body scrub:
Body scrubs are surprisingly easy to make! Plus, when they’re homemade you can be sure they’re 100% natural and free of chemicals. Here’s the recipe for a luxurious sugar scrub:
- 1/2 cup organic white or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil or coconut oil
- Essential oil of your preference (lavender is a favorite)
- First, mix all the ingredients together. Then put the mixture into a cute, airtight jar and personalize it with a homemade label.
- You can make a few body scrub variations: lemon or orange essential oil make for a great after dish-washing scrub; brown sugar and vanilla extract for a delicious-smelling sugar scrub; or vanilla extract with lavender essential oil for a relaxing facial scrub.