How to Have the Best 4th of July
We love celebrating July 4th with food, friends and fireworks. While the grill is usually loaded up with classics like hamburgers and hotdogs, the dessert table is where you can really show off your creativity with red, white and blue treats.
For red: Strawberries are loaded with vitamin C that helps to keep gums strong.
For white: Bananas are high in potassium, a mineral your body needs to absorb calcium.
For blue: Blueberries are full of polyphenols that help fight gum disease.
Now try one (or all!) of these yummy recipes that use all 3 colors:
- Festive fruit skewers: Simply take kabob skewers and alternate bananas, strawberries and blueberries. You can even arrange them on the serving tray to look like an American flag.
- Stuffed strawberries: Scoop out the top of your strawberries to create a small well. Then, cut off the bottom tip so they sit upright. From here, fill them with a white ingredient of your choice: whipped cream, cheesecake filling or goat cheese.
- Red, white and blue parfait: In a large bowl, stir together 8oz low-fat vanilla yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 4oz frozen light whipped cream. In a parfait glass or other dessert dish, alternate layers of bite-sized strawberries with yogurt and blueberries. Cover and chill for up to 1 hour before serving.
If you’re looking for a great, free fireworks show to watch this 4th of July, try one of these regional shows that are sure to be a blast:
- July 4th Celebration at the Pier (San Francisco, CA): This 25-minute display incorporates over 10,000 fireworks set against the backdrop of beautiful San Francisco. Bring your lawn chairs and stakeout a spot between Pier 39 and Aquatic Park. Show begins around 9:30pm. http://www.pier39.com/home/events/fourth-of-july-celebration-at-the-pier/
- Seafair Summer Fourth (Seattle, WA): This epic fireworks display closes out a day of fun at the Gas Works Park. Go early for food vendors, live entertainment, beer gardens and games. Catch the show from a boat on Lake Union or bring a blanket to Gas Works Park. Show begins at 10:15pm. http://www.seafair.com/fourth
- Freedom Over Texas (Houston, TX): Everything is bigger in Texas, even their Fourth of July festivities. Freedom Over Texas is the largest land-based fireworks show in the US and is set to classic American rock ‘n roll tunes. Before the show, enjoy live county music or take the kids to the kids’ zone. The best views of the fireworks are from Eleanor Tinsley Park. Show starts around 9:30pm. http://www.houstontx.gov/july4/
- Macy’s Fourth of July Fireworks (New York, New York): The Macy’s Fourth of July Fireworks display is the largest in the country, featuring more than 40,000 fireworks, and is accompanied by the New York Pop Orchestra and Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Arrive early to stake out a spot along West Side Highway below 59th Street. Show starts around 9:20pm. http://social.macys.com/fireworks/
- Boston Pops Concert Fireworks Spectacular (Boston, MA): Set to the 1812 Overture performed by Boston Pops, this fireworks display brings in a large crowd of over 500,000 visitors. The best viewing places are at the Oval along the Charles River, but you’ll need to get there early. The Oval usually reaches capacity by 2pm. Music starts at 8pm, the 1812 Overture starts at 9:30pm and fireworks begin at 10:30pm. http://www.july4th.org/