Memorial Day Picnic Foods Your Mouth Will Love Too
With the beginning of summertime, we’re excited for outdoor gatherings, cookouts, and picnics.
While enjoying beautiful weather and friends, try out our favorite ‘al fresco’ foods that your teeth will enjoy too.
- Watermelon: Watermelon is delicious-and extremely healthy. It’s mostly comprised of water and packed with vitamins A, C and B6, and the powerful antioxidant lycopene.
- Fruit and cheese: No picnic is complete without a cheese and fruit platter! Cheese is good for your teeth in several ways. First, it helps produce saliva, which clears away harmful bacteria. Also, the calcium and phosphates in cheese help to keep teeth strong. For fruits, choose low acid options, like apples, apricots and plums.
- Corn on the cob: This BBQ staple is loaded with healthy nutrients important for dental health such as fiber, vitamin C, magnesium and phosphorus. Just be sure to clean out particles stuck in your teeth, since they can counteract the health benefits.
- Veggie skewers: You can never have too many vegetables, so chop some up and skewer them for shish kabobs on the grill. Bell peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini and squash are some great veggies to grill.
- Healthy coleslaw: Cabbage is a low-calorie veggie that is full of vitamin C. There are many healthy variations, such as Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise, and apple cider vinegar instead of regular vinegar.
With just a few simple ingredient swaps, you can load up your plate at the next picnic guilt-free and teeth-friendly!