5 Healthy Food Ideas for the New Year
With New Year’s Resolution season in full swing, many people are seeking ways to improve their health.
If you are one of those to have jumped back on the health wagon, here are 5 super foods you should be eating!
1. Pomegranates – Its juice has more antioxidants than any other fruit. Just a cup a day might help keep free radicals from oxidizing “bad” LDL cholesterol, keeping your heart healthy and happy.
2. Dark, Leafy Greens – Dark leafy greens, such as kale, chard and collards are rich in vitamins A, C and K. Collards, mustard greens and escarole are also excellent sources of folate, important for women of childbearing age.
3. Citrus – Citrus fruits, including lemons, limes, oranges and grapefruit, are at their juiciest in the wintertime and can add sunshine to the dreary winter. Citrus fruits are loaded with vitamin C and one medium orange delivers more than 100 percent of your daily dose. Similar to the pomegranate the citrus contains hesperidin, a flavonoid that boosts good heart health.
4. Potatoes – This one may come as a surprise since potatoes are often thrown in with other starches like white rice, or white bread. Potatoes, however, contain several beneficial nutrients. They are an excellent source of vitamins C and B6 – 2 essential immunity boosters. They are also a good source of folate and fiber.
5. Winter Squash – There are many varieties of winter squash-including butternut, acorn, delicata and spaghetti squash-and they are all excellent choices! One cup of cooked winter squash has as few as 80 calories, and are high in vitamins A and C, as well as a good source of vitamins B6, K, potassium and folate.