Healthy Thanksgiving Dish: Sweet Potato-Pecan Casserole
Thanksgiving: a time when family and friends come together to share what they are thankful for and, more importantly, to EAT! There is an old adage that says, “Thanksgiving is a time where you eat until you hate yourself.” With all the delicious, overly buttered and salted options it’s hard to remember to stay healthy! To help ease your post-Thanksgiving day remorse here is a sweet, delicious, AND healthy recipe you can try this holiday!
Sweet Potato-Pecan Casserole:
3 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes (about 5 medium), peeled and cut into
1/3 cup honey
1 large egg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mist an 8-inch square baking dish with
2. Bring a few inches of water to a boil in a pot with a large steamer basket
in place. Put the sweet potatoes in the basket, cover and steam until tender,
20 to 25 minutes.
3. Transfer the potatoes to a bowl and let cool slightly.
4. Add the honey, egg, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and
1/2 teaspoon salt; whip with an electric mixer until smooth.
5. Spread the sweet potato mixture in the prepared baking dish.
6. Mix the brown sugar, pecans and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of
cinnamon in a bowl; sprinkle over the potatoes.